Tips to Stay Healthy And Fit During School
Yes, school work and assignments can suck the life out of you at times, you may feel like you have no time to take care of your body and your health but believe me, it isn’t too hard to change little things in your daily school routine to make sure your healthy, happy, and most importantly feeling good inside and out. Being healthy and fit not only helps you look and feel good, but as students, it’ll motivate you to keep going and perform your best in school.
Here we go…Tips to stay healthy and fit during school:
- BREAKFAST! Do NOT skip Breakfast. Skipping breakfast will cause you to binge eat after school and later on in the day. Wake up twenty minutes earlier than you usually do to avoid rushing out the door to avoid being tardy and have breakfast. Not a breakfast kind of person? A couple pieces of fruit, a piece of toast, or even a light smoothie will help start your metabolism early during the day and make you feel happy and full during all class periods up to lunch.
Here are some healthy breakfast ideas:
- Avocado toast: spread half an avocado on one piece of toast, slice up tomatoes, and squeeze half a lemon. I guarantee you will fall in love.
- Banana-strawberry Smoothie: This most basic and super yummy smoothie only needs banana, strawberries, a tablespoon of peanut butter, a dollop of yoghurt and half a cup of milk. Chop up the fruit, put everything in the blender and whip it up.
2. LUNCH. You should make sure you keep eating small meals during the day from 3-5 times so of course lunch in school is a must. Pack your lunch the night before. Make a whole healthy lunch before you go to sleep to quickly grab on the way out instead of rushing out and having to buy unhealthy food from school.
- Or… Instead of doing it the night before, simply spend an extra ten minutes making sure you grab a healthy nutritious lunch with you. There are endless healthy lunch ideas you can whip up in no time.
- Example: “Shaker Salad”- salad in a jar (ex. mason jar) customize your favorite salad chop ingredients up and place it in the jar and have a separate small container for your sauce to pour in at school. Healthy, low calories= happy bodies, happy people.
3. STAY HYDRATED– Bring a reusable water bottle with you to school everyday and remind yourself to take a sip every now and then. Your body needs it. You can even slice up some fruit to encourage you to drink. #DETOX ♡
4. Now for the Fitness…Hate Workouts? All you need is thirty minutes! Simply get moving during the day. Consistency is key. A quick walk or jog or even a little dancing thirty minutes before you sleep or after you wake up will keep your body fit.
- Quick workout circuits during study breaks– a couple sets of squats, lunges (even use mini hand weights if you want) get on the floor and get a quick fifteen minute workout in- Youtube workout videos are a GREAT way to guide you with that. So no effort needed to think of how the workout should be done.
- Make working out FUN! Make it the highlight of your day, a way to relax and distance yourself from schoolwork, there are so many ways to enjoy thirty minutes of movement.
- YOGA: Yoga is an amazing way to clear your head, stretch and relax your body, mind, and soul from all the stresses in your life including the unwanted school stress of course.
5. End your relationship with COFFEE- Swap coffee for TEAA. For all you hard workers consistently living on that coffee… it is not healthy. Shocker? Drinking caffeine causes weight gain so try and replace it with green tea or even any kind of tea you prefer. Try to manage your time with work so you wont need that unhealthy boost of energy from an Espresso.
6. Sleep. Get your 6-8 hours of sleep in as much as you can. Schoolwork may get you to go through a few sleepless nights but the key to being able to stay healthy and fit and to consistently work your body is to make sure it rests just as much.
Incorporating these little, effortless changes will make sure you happy and healthy all year and avoid gaining those extra pounds from unwanted habits that you may subconsciously do as your cooped up with assignments and work.
Staying fit is a lifestyle… So make that change. Make this how you live everyday.
By: Nadeen Soliman